When my grandfather returned from serving in WWII, he used the G.I. Bill to finance a farm in rural Kentucky (“The Bluegrass State”). I have so many fond memories of time on the farm with my grandfather. “Pappaw,” as we called him, came from a different era. He embraced traditional values of hard work, discipline, and frugality.
He built his wealth the old-fashioned way: one cow and one stack of tobacco at a time. Diversification meant spreading his money between every bank and brokerage across three counties. But when he was ready to sell the farm and retire, he consolidated his assets with a single financial advisor whom he trusted. Everyone should have an advisor they trust.
Pappaw passed down a legacy of investing, but he invested in more than just stocks and bonds. He invested in people, his community, and his faith. He passed this legacy of old school values to my father and eventually to me. I started this firm to continue that tradition.
At Bluegrass Legacy Group, we partner with you to define the legacy you want to leave, organize your assets to accomplish this vision, and hold you accountable to turn your goals into reality.
When considering a wealth management team, it is important to realize the grass isn’t always greener. In fact, it can be better…it can be blue.
- 1918 – Murrell Gabhart (a.k.a. “Pappaw”) born in Harrodsburg, KY
- 1941 – Private Gabhart joins the army, eventually rising to the rank of Sergeant
- 1944 – Nantie Bell and Murrell Gabhart are married
- 1945 – Srgt Gabhart returns from Asia with Bronze Star and Purple Heart
- 1946 – Nantie gives birth to my father, Robert Gabhart
- 1953 – Gabhart farm started in Cornishville, KY
- 1967 – Robert marries Sondra Dee
- 1968 – In the midst of the Vietnam War, Robert enlists in the Army as an Explosives Ordnance Disposal (EOD) specialist
- 1974 – Robert and Sondra move to Texas
- 1979 – Kyle born to Robert & Sondra
- 2011 – Pappaw passes away at 93
- 2018 – Robert passes away at 71 after a 6-year battle with Parkinsons
- 2020 – Kyle founds Bluegrass Legacy Group to help other families create their own legacies